Eight inch Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is a moist, soft 8 inch cake with a crunchy topping that’s loaded with blueberry and lemon flavor
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder, divided
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, if using frozen, do not thaw
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature, cut into very small chunks
- 1 Teaspoon lemon zest (about one lemon zested
- 4 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter
- For the cake:Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg and lemon zest to the bowl and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the flour to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Beat the ingredients just until they are incorporated with each addition of flour and milk.
- Toss the blueberries in the remaining 2 Tablespoons of flour. Cut the room temperature cream cheese into small pieces. Stir the blueberries and cream cheese into the bater until just incorporated. Pour the batter into a greased 8×8 baking pan.
- For the Topping:Combine the flour and sugar. Cut the butter into the mixture until crumbly. I usually rub the mixture between my fingers until it becomes crumbly. Sprinkle the crumbs over the batter.Bake the cake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick inserted into the center. Remove the cake from the oven, place on a cooling rack until it cools to warm and serve.